Semi-rural Acreage for sale
32288 Albany Highway,
Mount Barker, WA
3 1 3
EQUITY PARTNERS REQUIRED .MICRO BREWERY/ Tourist Precinct. Viable Vineyard with Cellar Door/accommodation.. includes 35,000 bottles of wine on handPhone enquiry code for this property: 6679
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
32288 Albany Highway Mount Barker WA 6324
Towerhill Estate Mt Barker is ideally located to become a high profile "essential stop" tourist precinct.
32288 Albany Highway WA 6324. The area is 27 ha/66 acres and features:
• 5-hectare vineyard
• 2 hectare Olive grove
• 3 bedroom house with 2 car garage and fenced garden
• Large Cellar door building which doubles as self-contained accommodation/ Manager’s loft
• Large machinery and vineyard store shed, plus
• 7 hectares of natural bush.
Towerhill Estate is situated just 5 km from the centre of the expanding progressive town of Mt Barker; by proximity, a satellite of Albany.
Towerhill Estate fronts the Albany Highway on the eastern boundary, presenting as an open paddock with a permanent fresh water.
The House and Cellar door building are set back but visible from the Highway.
Currently the property is zoned “Rural”, allowing particular development with Shire Approval, however, given the increase in recent approvals for subdivision as “Special Rural”2-hectare living blocks, it is anticipated that application for re-zoning of Towerhill Estate for increased density is likely before long.
Many positive factors make this property ideal to develop into a comprehensive Tourism precinct including:
• Exposure to the Albany Highway. The Albany Highway is major tourist highway linking Perth with Albany and currently, 3800+ vehicles drive past every day.
• Direct easy access to and from the highway and space for big turning circles and parking for coaches, cars, RVs and towed caravans
• Having had the large “Towerhill” sign on the roadside for many years has established a memory and identifiable Landmark for Albany Highway travellers, so any additional promotion will be noticed
• Siting of current buildings and features within sight of the entrance and with privacy for residents
• Plenty of space for optimum planning for siting short-stay accommodation
• ‘Scheme’ water supply
• Established productive vineyard and olive grove
• Current Producer’s Liquor Licence holder with easy upgrade to Cellar Sales Licence
• Award-winning aged premium wine preserved in commercial volumes
• Being one of only 3 Cellar Sales facilities# directly on the 318km stretch of the Albany Highway between Armadale (Perth) and Albany *and only 2 on-vineyard Cellar Doors.
• Being on a natural easy Wine Trail tourist loop- refer attached Mt Barker Wine Trail map
• Attractive natural features including permanent water, bushland with native animals, open terrain and views to Tower Hill
• Few close neighbours therefore minimal impact to/from development
• Location in the heart of the Great Southern wine and tourist region with easy day trip access to the Porongorups and Stirling Range National Parks plus Albany, Denmark and South Coast
• Support network of established Regional Tourism promotional groups include Mt Barker Tourism Association and Visitor’s centre, Mt Barker and Great Southern Wine Producers plus State Government focus and funding through GSDC
• Location in a rich agricultural produce and cultural region providing potential for raw materials and business collaboration: fine food and produce; cherries and berries, olive oil, marron, cheese, venison, honey, Arts and craft, flora and fauna, timber products.
• Proximity to the Mt Barker town services and growing population
• Plantagenet Shire’s pro-tourism policies. The Mt Barker Guided Development suggests permitted development with Approval; Cellar Door wine sales plus retail shop offering speciality produce, licenced restaurant/café, short stay accommodation, Art and Furniture Gallery
• Opportunity to create a landmark adventure playground with a picnic area with adjacent high quality, disabled-accessible toilets
• Comfortable home for onsite Owner/ Manager residence close enough to the Cellar Door for secure overseeing and far enough away for residential family privacy and lifestyle.
• Diversity of rural character offering beautiful settings for self-contained luxury escape villas, holiday cabins or farm stays; lakeside, bush retreat, vine view, sunset corner, farmyard, kangaroo paddock….
# Plantagenet Wine and Gilbert’s
Main Roads Access, Approvals and Passing Traffic
The existing driveway entry/exit point to the Albany Highway complies with and exceeds current standards for SISD and ESD for light vehicles, and ESD and SSD for RAV 7 vehicles. This means that the existing driveway is deemed suitable access for small and large coaches and cars without any number restriction.
In 2006, traffic passing Towerhill totalled 2700 vehicles per day. In 2015, over 3900 vehicles passed by each day and only 14% were heavy vehicles. This growth in traffic volume offers great numbers of potential visitors and customers.
It is a great advantage that the driveway entrance is within metres of the 90km speed zone which then extends all the way north into Mt Barker’s 60km zone.
Traffic is, therefore, travelling slowly or slowing down as they pass Towerhill Estate’s front entrance. This increases the likelihood of sighting and memorable recognition of the sign plus prompting "impulse" visits, as well as repeat visits.
Wine, Eat, Play and Top-notch Loos
The Cellar Sales building has the capacity and perfect sitting to develop a restaurant or café with outside pergola and a sunny terrace overlooking the vines and sunsets across Tower Hill. This is an exclusive spot with extensive space and no close neighbours- AND close to the Highway.
Our plan envisions construction of high quality disabled-accessible public toilets adjacent to an elaborate all-ages adventure playground with direct clear visibility from the Cellar sales building.
In Mt Barker, the playground and public toilets are not on the Highway, not well signed and require a detour for travellers. The toilets are not in the playground. One block faces the road and the other is in the Shire carpark therefore not safe for children and aged people to use without supervision or extra care.
Having toilets next to the playground and parking, within easy sight and a safe distance from the café at Towerhill will be perfect for Families, Tour groups, Clubs, Functions and will become well known by travellers via word of mouth.
The front paddock with open pasture, large trees and a permanent shallow lake is perfect to create a park-like landscape, adding to the visual appeal.
Phone enquiry code for this property: 6679
Last updated: 11:50AM on Mar 28th 2018