37 Riley Road,
Blending Timeless Elegance with Modern DesignAt the highest point of Riley Road, this gorgeous turn of the century house (circa 1904) is one block back from Melvista Park and playing fields, close to schools (Freshwater and Dalkeith primary schools, Methodist Ladies College, Christchurch Grammar School), the University of WA and Sir Charles Gairdner and Perth Children's Hospitals, and a short walk from the Swan river.
Situated in a quiet and shaded part of the street, this family home is within easy walking distance of the Claremont Quarter and other shopping areas.
Extensively renovated in 1992-3, when it was awarded WA Renovation of the Year and National Runner-Up in its category (architect Carolyn Marshall, builder Arlington Homes), this exceptionally well designed and built house faithfully retains many original features and elements of its history, while maintaining an incredibly modern appeal. There are high ceilings on both levels, spacious private and communal living areas, and a huge north-facing family room/living room/kitchen area with elegant tall bay windows and lovely fanlights above them, allowing passive solar warming in winter and cooling in summer. Hallways and staircase are wide and natural light has been maximized everywhere. There is charm but also superb flow between the spaces, which lend themselves to comfortable living. There is good separation of the living areas, allowing privacy for adults and children/teens. The master suite is set at the front of the house and includes a spacious walk-in-robe and an ensuite with lovely marble finishes. The five other generously proportioned bedrooms highlight privacy.
The house is complete with an additional staircase leading to an underground refrigerated, temperature-controlled cellar with built-in racks.
Solid jarrah floors, doors and window frames throughout, along with cedar shutters in many of the rooms, lend further charm and utility.
The house's driveway allows direct entry to a large kitchen which adjoins the north-facing laundry opening onto a covered clothesline area, facilitating easy organization of house chores!.
Outdoor living spaces include a 9-metre salt water pool with elegant poolside paving/dining area overlooking a lush, pretty garden.
- 2-story house with 5 generous bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, plus:
- 2 large studies/formal rooms joined by tall concertina jarrah doors
- AND separate TV/library/extra bedroom at front of house
- 14 metre wide, naturally lit north-facing family room and large kitchen with Miele appliances, 2 sink areas and large walk-in pantry
Laundry adjacent to the kitchen with northern covered outdoor drying area
- Additional play/TV area upstairs opening (as do two bedrooms here) onto northern veranda overlooking back garden and pool.
- In all, 3 separate living areas - two on first floor and one on second floor Temperature-controlled, refrigerated underground wine cellar with built-in racks.
- High ornate ceilings and wide hallways on both floors.
- Wide jarrah floorboards throughout the lower floor, staircase and verandas; carpets upstairs.
- Highly secure with monitored system, camera intercom system and NBN connection.
- Wood fireplaces, underfloor gas heating, evaporative air conditioning.
- Established fully reticulated gardens with glorious old jacaranda tree, paved outdoor entertaining area and saltwater pool at back, cedar wood shed, separate firewood storage area opening to ROW and covered limestone walled bike/bin area opening near driveway.
- Double carport with remote control security gates; extra 2 car spaces in driveway which also provides separate access to the kitchen
- Generous 1012 sq metre block with back ROW onto Lorikeet Lane