House for sale
49 Church Street,
The Hill, NSW
4 3 2
‘Marlborough House’ c1865Auction Location: Watt Street Commercial Centre.
Inspect by registration Saturday 22nd of September. Call or SMS 0431 274 966 to confirm your viewing of this iconic home.
Occupying a significant 1007sqm site in the historic nineteenth-century Hill precinct, this c1865 residence known as ‘Marlborough House’ is a grand two storey dwelling in the graceful Victorian Italianate style. Thought to have been built for the shipping master of Newcastle harbour, dynamic water views are a beautiful backdrop to its elegant interiors.
The home reveals all the classic features of the period including soaring ceilings, a magnificent Australian cedar staircase, cedar arched windows and doors, hallway arches, original fireplaces and an upper level lacework bullnose verandah, all combining to create an elegant home rich in character and destined to impress.
Crafted around a wide hallway, the layout features adjoining formal lounge and dining rooms while at the rear the original servants’ quarters have been converted for modern living into a family room with adjoining timber kitchen, laundry, casual meals area and powder room. Upstairs, there are four large bedrooms, including one with study and two family bathrooms. Indoors meets out with an utterly private backyard where an all-weather alfresco and solar-heated pool are framed by lush greenery offering a quiet spot for afternoon fun, relaxation or alfresco meals.
An exclusive offering in terms of its scale and stature, outstanding ‘Marlborough House’ is within minutes walk to sought-after schools, award-winning restaurants, world-class surf breaks, Newcastle’s arts and entertainment scene and Honeysuckle’s waterfront bars and eateries.
- Dual storey brick Victorian Italianate residence on north facing 1007sqm parcel
- Ducted air-conditioning to upper level bedrooms
- Working fireplace to formal lounge room
- Long driveway to tandem garage with drive- through and internal access
- Tassie oak kitchen with large walk-in pantry, granite benches and electric cooking
- Large storage shed with third w/c and shower ideal for swimmers
- Garden watering system
- Exclusive position in a walk to everywhere locale
This property is being sold under the revolutionary Friendly Auction System.
- An independent pest & building report is available on request at no charge to you. This is the type of report your solicitor would usually recommend purchasing before bidding at an auction or before making an unconditional offer prior to auction and are conducted by a panel of reputable companies. The companies have consented to friendly auction terms and will generally be happy to speak to you about your queries in reports and in most cases transfer the reports into your name if you are the successful buyer at auction or prior to auction: see each report for details.
- Flexible deposit and settlement conditions are also available by negotiation with the agent if required.
- Offers can also be made prior to auction and each offer will be assessed on its merits.
In-rooms auction event scheduled at The Arc at Watt Street Commercial Centre (Cnr King and Watt St Newcastle). Bid and buy with confidence in this consumer driven, transparent auction system that was pioneered here in Newcastle but is now in use across Australia. We also have a downloadable guide available on our website.
Last updated: 10:00AM on Sep 18th 2018