House for sale
56 Yeronga Avenue,
Kensington Park, SA
5 3 7
“Tarndamia” An Iconic Estate (C. 1868-1890)Executive Family Sandstone Mansion of outstanding charm and beauty. Resort features include floodlit NS Tennis Court, Luxury swimming pool, cellar and set on expansive private grounds of over 4700 sq mts ( approx.)
Founded on the legacy of successful quarry and businessman Henry Dunstan (of Stonyfell Quarries and Stonyfell Winery fame) in the late 1800’s, only a quarryman himself might tackle the construction of such a substantial home in Stonyfell sandstone on all external walls.
On approach through the impressive wrought iron gates the mansion, which is poised centrally on the land, exudes an aura of spaciousness and dignity, with a seasoned and understated elegance. Notwithstanding the grandeur of the home, it preserves an inviting warmth and sense of “liveability”, relevant to a modern family lifestyle.
Classical pillars at the front of the home support a wide, inviting verandah. The grand entrance with turned cedar pillars, intricate leadlight and original tiled floor speak of things strong and reliable, and is a hallmark of the stature of the home.
A beautifully proportioned formal drawing room and formal dining room flank the entry hall. Both have warm and generous open fireplaces, soaring timber batten ceilings with exposed beams and bright views to the gardens. One can only imagine the enjoyment of parties, celebrations, music, food and dance shared by the home’s privileged custodians, of which there have been only seven over its near 150 year history.
The informal heart of the home is the impressive modern kitchen in a classical style, with stone and stainless steel tops and walk-in pantry. It oversees an intimate family/ TV and informal eating areas, both with quality cabinetry and display shelving. The northerly aspect of these rooms ensures they are light filled, and provide views over the sparkling pool area with fountain and pavilion.
A further billiard room with slow combustion heater and bar opens via French doors to the rear entertaining areas of pool, tennis court and gardens.
A grand formal study with fireplace and bay window over the verandah is an idyllic space to inspire your work or study.
The home offers generous accommodation with five double bedrooms (two ensuites), including the cavernous master suite (originally the home’s ballroom), with an elegant bay window and French doors to the verandah. All bedrooms enjoy French door access to a verandah for natural ventilation and serene views of the grounds.
Standout features of the home:
• A huge landholding offering a private, substantial refuge in Adelaide’s prestigious Eastern suburbs, imparting an ambience of space, privacy, security and peaceful seclusion
• A grand sandstone mansion of historical significance
• 4 metre ceiling height in formal rooms and corridor
• Enormous, yet low maintenance grounds with multiple themes, from peaceful garden views from the shady verandahs, a vegetable garden, family recreation areas such as pool precinct with pavilion, tennis court with its own viewing pavilion and ample space for a game of cricket, or a kick of a football or to freely ride a bicycle
• Walking distance to Pembroke School Junior, Middle and Senior Schools, and close to other quality private and public schools
• Close ( yet far enough ) from The Parade coffee shops and facilities
• Bus stops for direct CBD access within 200 metres.
• A generous dry cellar with racking for up to 3,000 bottles
• Reverse Cycle airconditioning to informal living areas
• Multiple storage options including separate store room
• Monitored alarm system, and video intercom
• Cute cubby house
• Solar hot water heating service
• Water supply from a well on the property
“Tarndamia” is a secure haven in which to raise your precious family, with space, privacy, security and grounding. Truly a generational opportunity worthy of your highest consideration.
Last updated: 10:33PM on Oct 14th 2019